Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Student athletes are really pissing me off now a days. Just because they can play football or basketball they basically get a free ride and a free degree. In the mean time I am actually going to go to college to get a degree so I can be successful in life. I have to take loans out to pay for school, I have to sell some of my possessions to buy my textbooks, and I barely get a filling meal during the school year. On the other hand if I could play football I would not be in this situation. I would be given free tuition, free textbooks, free food and housing. Registration is really what burns me. I have to login to Milo at midnight when registration opens and fight the really crappy internet registration system or stand in line for hours in Old Main to get my classes. On the other hand damn jocks get to register weeks before I do. To make things better is they don’t even have to worry about making their schedules. All they have to do is pick a major at random and they get a schedule made for them. It’s not like they even try for a degree they are there to play ball and that’s it. To quote West Virginia University receiver Chris Henry, when asked what he studied he responded “I don’t know”.
To make things even better is how these athletes are in class. I am a Parks and Recreation major. Most of my classes are also required by Sports majors. This means they are made up of 90% athletes. Every day in class I imagine that I have been teleported back to the first grade. All the athletes do is act like they are gods and don’t give a shit about anything. If I acted like them I would have been kicked out of class on the first day. Here is an example of one class this week:
We got our midterms back. I scored low on the test so I tried to pay attention while the professor went over each question. All the athletes could talk about was which football team had a better game that weekend. They would get up and leave and not come back for an hour. Some came to class over an hour late. We had some athletes who got into fights in the class. We had some that wrote dirty things about other players. It’s sad when athletes can’t even spell “herpes”.
I guess since I don’t bring in millions of dollars for the university during the football season I am worthless. Just a little pawn that makes the attendance at games look good. Well I for one am tired of getting treated like worthless shit. At least I know when I graduate I can look back and know I earned my degree.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home