Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Athletes setting the example

Recently the NBA has created a rule that makes all basketball players dress in normal business suits when off the court. This is supposed to make the image of the NBA much more respectable. I think it will be a much needed change from the crap that NBA players currently wear.
Now what about our college football players? Marshall University is known mainly for one thing: football. Sorry to disappoint everyone but people don’t really give a shit about Marshall outside of that. To prove my point I was at a conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I was a representative for the University. When I told people where I went to school no one knew anything about it. If I said Randy Moss, Chad Pennington, or Bryon Leftwich people would immediately know what I was talking about.
Our athletes are our examples to the world. They are the ones in the spotlight. These are the people that the world knows and looks to when they think of Marshall. So let’s see just how good of a job they are doing:
We have a quarterback that assaulted a woman in a bar with a broken beer bottle that got a slap on the wrist. (Great message there, if you are a football player you get out of jail free with a slap on the wrist) We have a football team that can barely make it onto the Honor Roll. (If they do it is because someone fudged their grades, don’t believe me ask our last compliance guy who was “fired” for bringing this up) We have athletes that can barely show up for class and when they do completely destroy the atmosphere for those students who are actually there to learn. (Apparently who won the USC game is more important than passing the test)
I challenge the Athletic Department and especially Coach Snyder to have his players actually earn a 2.0 without having to doctor the grades. To have his players show up for a class, shut the hell up, take some notes, and possibly participate in the class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home